Adventure is waiting on the doorstep
Experience all Anglesey has to offer from beautiful Rhosneigr
Always wanted to experience the thrill of sailing, or want to challenge yourself on the course of a world famous regatta? Anglesey is for you. From beginner’s courses to boat hire for the more advanced, the opportunity to take in the island’s beautiful coastline from the sea should not be missed.
What is sailing?
Using the wind as the sole means of propulsion, sailing possibly dates to Mesopotamia some eight thousand years ago and has been a primary form of ocean or seagoing trade, transport, exploration, fishing and warfare throughout history up to and including the advent of the steam engine. Following the invention of diesel powered vessels and other modern methods of propulsion, sailing became primarily a recreational activity.
Recreational sailing activities run the full gamut of its former operation – with sports and activities recreating its exploratory use and abilities to reach high speed.This has seen sailing events reach global audiences (including Anglesey’s Menai Strait Regatta) and its incorporation in many international sporting events including the Olympic Games.
Best sailing locations around Anglesey
While Anglesey is best suited to assisted surfing (such as windsurfing and kitesurfing – for which Rhosneigr is hugely popular), the south-west coast offers some great opportunity to catch a wave during the winter months. However, though the best surf is during the cold weather, the island is a great place for beginners and there are some popular guided introductions available.
The waters around Anglesey are indisputably beautiful, but there are some which provide a sailing experience you’ll struggle to match anywhere in the UK. The following are a few examples (though not an exhaustive list):
- Holyhead: – Though yet to fully recover from extensive storm damage in 2018, Holyhead harbour is still a fantastic place for those new to sailing and provides access to day sailing via the Irish Sea to Eire and Northern Island, the Isle of Man and Southern Scotland.
- Rhosneigr: – with large areas of calm water before opening out into the Irish Sea and the southern tip of Holy Island, sailors taking to the waters of Rhosneigr will find their sailing complemented by glorious views of Snowdonia.
- Menai Bridge: – The Menai Strait can be a little tricky to navigate in some conditions, but the home of the Menai Strait Regatta should be on any sailors bucket list of sailing destinations. With incredible views and the chance to put your skills to the test, you’ll leave wanting more.
- Beaumaris: – Giving easy access to wildlife galore a short distance away at Puffin Island but also to the Menai Strait, Beaumaris is among the most popular sailing destinations on the island – and its resident club is core to the success of the Menai Strait regatta.
Holyhead Sailing Club
An excellent venue with a large, sheltered expanse of water due to a mile and a half breakwater, Holyhead Sailing Club is ideal for dinghy sailing while the open water of Holyhead Bay is ideal for day sailing.
Having hosted many regional and national championships, the club is as prestigious as it is idyllic, and the geographical position of Holyhead in the centre of the Irish Sea make it perfect for sightseeing and cruises to the Isle of Man, Eire, Northern Ireland, Pembrokeshire and Southern Scotland which are all within a day’s sailing.
The club offers training courses for members only beginning at £10 per person.
Royal Anglesey Yacht Club
6/7 Green Edge,
A fantastic club with great facilities, RAYC is at the heart of the Menai Strait regatta, is ideally located in historic and beautiful Beaumaris. The club offers a range of training courses for members of all ages (7+) from navigation and theory through to on the water tuition.
2022 Membership Fees:
- Full member Aged 30-59: £165.00
- Aged 60 and over: £110.00
- Aged 25–29: £100.00
- Aged 18–24: £50.00
- Overseas: £90.00
- Cadets under 18 or 21 in full time education: £25.00
- Cadets with parents who are members: free
THE LATEST FROM THE TEAM AT DRIFTWOOD
9 Wonderful Things To Do in Anglesey During Spring 2024
If you’re visiting the island during spring here’s a superb list of what’s on and things to doContinue Reading…
The Perfect Romantic Getaway In Anglesey – Things To Do & Luxury Accommodation
There’s no shortage of romantic thinsg to do in Anglesey. Discover some great ideas now.Continue Reading…
Rhosneigr’s Year-Round Charm: The Best Times to Visit
Discover which seaons suits you best.Continue Reading…